|The finished birthday quilt for my daughter.|
It is queen size. The bottom of the picture
shows the zebra print backing.
At the top, you can see Ollie.
He "owns" all quilts in the house.
I was afraid I put it down and I didn't want to blog about this quilt, so I told myself that I would not blog until I finished. With all of the family drama wearing me down and the hot Sacramento weather (it is currently 108 degrees at 3:55 in the afternoon), it just took forever.
I've had most of the blocks finished and I had the white Kona Cotton. Unfortunately, I had stolen some of the Kona Cotton for other projects and had to buy more. Would you believe that my Joann's only had two yards. I used that up and went back the following week and they were out. So, I went down the street to Hancock Fabrics and bought enough to finish setting the blocks.
|Sewing together the 2 1/2" jelly roll strips.|
|Attaching the white strips to the horizontal and vertical blocks.|
Random is really difficult for me. I ended up making many extra squares to avoid similar placement.
I made the blocks with four strips each. I had a hard time deciding how large the white strips between the blocks should be. I ended up making a spreadsheet to play with the numbers. I know. I'm a geek. But it really helped me determine how many blocks and the width of the white strips to create a queen size quilt that would also fit onto the Warm and White queen size batting that I bought for this.
|Putting the block strips together.|
|I sent this out on Instagram as my surprise project.|
Of course, at that point, I thought it would be done sooner.
Then I sewed the block strips together, being sure that the blocks were still rotated horizontally and vertically. These long strips were really hard on my hands and wrists. It is also amazing how hot it can get while sitting at a sewing machine. Using the iron to press each seam is also a bit warm.
One reason I make sure to make a quilt each year is that it makes me move the furniture and do a good floor cleaning in the family room. After a good sweeping, I follow with a really good floor scrubbing so that I can make my quilt sandwich.
|The quilt backing taped face down on the very clean floor.|
|The batting placed on the backing.|
Bugg is inspecting the batting.
|The quilt top placed right side up on the quilt sandwich.|
The next step will be to safety pin in the center of
each block and each white "intersection," making sure
to secure all three layers.
Bugg and Ollie are making final inspections.
The backing for this was a black and white zebra print. I had to add a strip of additional fabric because the two widths were not wide enough. I also used the same black and white zebra stripe for the binding.
To make the quilt sandwich, I put the backing (zebra fabric) face down. I used painter's tape to hold it down after getting it wrinkle free. Then, the batting, followed by the pieced quilt top. I then spent about 45 minutes getting everything smooth and wrinkle free while using safety pins to hold the layers together.
|Quilting a queen size quilt on the dining table.|
Well, after everything was quilted together, I started designing a quilt label. The first few were too big. I'm having a software issue that thinks I'm using a crazy small screen so I cannot tell how big until I print out the design.
I finally had a perfect design and it stitched out beautifully. I started trimming it so that I could put it on before attaching the binding. I ended up cutting through it, making it unusable.
I attempted to stitch it out three more times. It kept having a problem on the same part of the quote that encircled around the main information. I finally, decided to ditch the quote and just do the main information.
Once the label was hand stitched in place, I stitched the border and immediately put it into the washer on hot to shrink it up. I fell asleep before putting it into the dryer and had to re-rinse before putting it in the dryer on hot.
Sarah finally got her birthday quilt. I'm now hoping she will retire her 19 year old Pocahontas comforter that she still uses.