|Cheetah wearing Comox Trunks watching|
This is the new Comox Trunk from Thread Theory. I wasn't sure if I would buy this pattern, but when they were having a sew along and it was discounted I just had to buy it. It is available as a pdf and as a downloadable pattern. I seem to be a glutton for punishment, so I downloaded it.
Of course I downloaded it and attempted to print before I realized I was almost out of ink. This stopped me in my tracks. I think my printer is almost as important for my sewing as my sewing machine and serger. I decided to use the horribly almost out of ink pattern and it took some guesswork in cutting out the pattern.
Since I had made a pair of the Jalie Long Johns for Mr. Toad, which is a longer version of their boxer brief, I had some confidence. Maybe, a little too much confidence. I got started and made a few mistakes because I had the instructions and the sew along on my laptop--five feet from my work area--and I just started sewing using my memory. I'm sure you're thinking, "What did she do wrong?" of their boxer brief, I had some confidence. Maybe, a little too much confidence. I got started and made a few mistakes because I had the instructions and the sew along on my laptop--five feet from my work area--and I just started sewing using my memory. I'm sure you're thinking, "What did she do wrong?"
Manny the Manequin isn't very good at modeling
underwear. These look much better on Mr. Toad.
I decided to start over and recut the pieces I had destroyed. That was all but two.
So, back to the actual sewing. I used a cotton lycra left over from a pre-blog dress I made for Adult Daughter's 21st birthday using Vogue 8705. You can see it on Pattern Review. It is perfect for this pattern.
Having seen the first attempt, Mr. Toad had requested that the seams on the front cup be away from the inside. He didn't think that he wanted the rough seams on that particular part of his body. This was easy to do.
|Rear veiw of Comox Trunks.|
This photo makes me laugh. The lines on the
legs are where Manny's legs attach. He also
doesn't have much in the Trunk.
I actually followed the directions in the sew along, except for the seam along the inside of the cut and the band on the front openings. I doubled the trim piece, wrong sides together, lined them with the curved edge of the front opening, then opened it and top stitched to hold the seam allowance down.
One warning. I pinned the front panels together instead of basting. I had Mr. Toad try these on before adding the elastic and hemming. Make sure to warn the person trying them on if there are pins.
When not distracted, this was an easy sew. Just follow the directions.
I am sure that I will be making more of these, when Mr. Toad needs new underwear. I believe that the pattern is small enough for Middle Son. I'm just not too sure how that will go over in the middle school locker room.