There are actually two "banners" that are mirror images of each other. I am calling them banners because there is only a top--no batting or back. The borders are a mess. I didn't do them the same and considered them temporary. One has mitered corners that are only pinned.
women's conference at our church. Somehow, I ended up on the decorating committee. I help with some of the other decorations, but when asked about making a lion, I did a quick Google search and found a lion and tree in silhouette. I showed it to my friends and fellow committee members Kelly and Kathy and they said go for it. In fact, Kathy created a version of the tree on card stock for me.
I had some ideas in my head and on a Friday, when to Joann's for some fabric. Once I had the fabric, I sat at home and stared at it wondering what I had gotten myself into.
Figuring I needed to start somewhere, I cut off a sheet of pattern paper and marked the initial dimensions and using the rule of thirds, created a grid to align everything. Kathy's tree was very small on this and I realized I might have to draw the tree. So, I decide to focus on the size of the sun and the lion.
I took a picture of a lion that I had and using Adobe Illustrator created the silhouette, sizing it to what I thought would be the appropriate dimensions. Then I printed it on 4 tiled sheets of paper, taped them and cut it out.
The lion looked like it would be the right size.
I now could not do anything else until the tree was draw. I made my pitiful attempt. In an attempt to save face, there is no record of that tree. Mr. Toad became my super hero again and drew the tree. His dad even stopped by to give advice on size and proportions. Grandpa Toad is a great carver and painter (I keep trying to get him to open an Etsy shop, but he won't).
|Here is Mr. Toad's sketch of the tree on my "scratch" paper. In the bottom left corner is a corner of Kathy's tree.|
Kathy free handed the tree without looking at anything. She is one of the most creative people I know. She breathes creativity.
|Tracing the lion onto the paper side of the Heat and Bond|
Since I was doing two, I reversed the lion and traced it. The tree was drawn using pencil. I thought about flipping the paper over and tracing it, but it wasn't dark enough. I knew a fine point Sharpy would show, so I started outlining it. Then I had a wonderful idea!
Why not turn over the Heat and Bond and trace it to the glue side, then iron and cut it out!
|Ironing the Head and Bond to the fabric using medium heat|
for two seconds, then letting it cool completely before moving
All of this happened on Saturday and Sunday. When Monday came, I could not get up. I was not feeling well and stayed on the couch napping on and off all day. I was panicking because I needed to be done by Thursday.
Tuesday, I started cutting the fabric strips for the background/sunset. I had calculated and calculated and finally came up with what I wanted--Until I realized that Mr. Toad had made the tree a little taller than I had wanted. He thought my "no higher than this" line was the "the tree tops should start here" line. I needed to do some adjusting.
|The tree after being traced to Heat and Bond, ironed to the|
fabric and cut out. It might just work!
It was about this time that I realized that I was going to have to stitch the appliques on. I had bought the same Heat and Bond that I had for another project and it is the sewable, which means "must sew or it will fall off." If you don't want to sew it, use the RED. I'm hoping that by putting it in all caps that I might remember.
So, I stitched down the sun and ironed on the tree. The fun part of the tree was that all of those skinny limbs and the pretty tops that give the lacy appearance became a tangled mess. I also needed to align this where I could iron it and my ironing board was too small for the whole tree. I had to do it in pieces and almost 13 year old Middle Son kept pointing out that it wasn't level. I don't know if that helped or just frustrated me.
|This is a little wrinkly hanging on one of the walls.|
Notice that the how the colors are so different from
the other that was on stage?
Fifty-five minutes and I still needed to do all of the insides. I kept going and with another hour, I was done with the tree. I pinned the lion on and sent pictures to my friends who were now cheering me on.
The next morning, Wednesday, I started stitching the background. It is nice to do long straight lines when you can put the foot pedal all the way down. It is hard to believe how fast that needle can go. Its a little scary too. I worked non-stop until it was done.
|This is is pinned to a curtain. I am attempting to not freak|
out at the wrinkling and the crookedness.
This has the stage lights on it.
Also, Middle Son was soooooo happy to point out to
me that lion is "floating."
Since I plan to bring these home and quilt them, I the binding wasn't a huge deal. It was supposed to be pinned onto black background. Unfortunately, we had to make some changes. Our background couldn't be extended far enough and we split them up. One on a wall and the other was not in the center of the stage.
They turned out to be 44 inches by 34 inches with the binding.
This was a satisfying project. I don't really want to call it a quilt because it isn't quilted. I'm going to call it a banner. It may become a quilted wall hanging or even part of a quilt.